Today I am going to b sharing my first year uni experience and some important things I learnt along the way. I hope you enjoy and this helps you out if you are just starting university this year. Also, let me know if you can relate to any in the comments!
- You are responsible for your university experience. Everyone’s experience will be different and unique but for you to get the most out of the experiences, it is up to you to put the effort in, be sociable, attend classes and do you assignments. You are the only one who can determine how happy you will be and it will be your choices which will shape your experience. The lessons you learn at uni are so important for your own personal development and your future and really do extend beyond the lecture halls and your seminars. University gives you so many important life skills as well as a degree.
- These next two are unique to me I am pretty sure but the first one is I have found out that I cannot use a tin opener at all. I must have broke at least 3 this year and so eventually I had to resort to buying pull cans. I don’t know, tin openers just never worked for me.
- I have also discovered that I am the worst at opening jars. I cannot open jars at all. Uni and opening jars usually consisted of me messaging of my flatmates, ringing my friend from another block or ringing my boyfriend to come around and open my jar for me.
- Time management is essential. I am usually pretty good with this but uni was a whole new world and an experience I had never had and so it made things challenging. I was definitely not the worst at this (many of my friends started the night before and was working frantically on plenty of coffee until the deadline), however I was not the best either. I mean my assignments were always submitted the day before but I was always guilty of having 6 weeks to due an assignment and leaving it until a week before to start it. I do not recommend. Also, start your revision for your exams in plenty of time to avoid stress!
- Explore! You’re free and independent. Make the most of it. Don’t confine yourself to your room and the uni. Explore the city, local towns and villages, hop on the train and go places near by. Go to museums, galleries or exhibitions. Make a real effort to go out and see different things, eat at different places and try new things.
- Take yourself out of your comfort zone. Uni is terrifying and it is a whole new start and you will be scared and shy but take that step and be confident approach people. Everyone is in the same boat as yourself and people want to make friends and so they aren’t not going to want to talk to you if you speak to them.
- A lock on your cupboard is a good idea!
- Work hard but play hard. Enjoy yourself. You’re young and you only live once so make the most of it!
Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have enjoyed this post. I thoroughly enjoyed first year and I cannot wait to see what the future holds and what next year brings. I have met the most amazing people and I am so thankful for all of them.
Also I have just hit over 500 followers on my Twitter and so close on my Instagram. So if you don’t follow those I would be so grateful if you could show me some love and follow back and say hi! They will be linked below. I love you so all so much! Much love,