I hope you are all doing well and today I have another Q&A post all about confidence. I am really keen to promote confidence and help improve people’s self-esteem because I know that we should all respect and love ourselves. We should all believe in our abilities and be confident people!
- What does confidence mean to you? – For me confidence is about belief, respect and trust for yourself and as a consequence happiness. Confidence is not about always being in situations which are easy or ones which don’t challenge you but being in situations which do scare and test you but you make it through because you believed in yourself and your abilities. Being confident is knowing your strengths but not being afraid of your flaws or weaknesses. It’s about having courage to be different and original rather than copying everyone else because that is the consensus and it’s about seeing the worth, value and skills you have. Confidence is having a strong and positive mindset and knowing that you don’t have to perfect to be inspiring but people are inspired by your ability to accept your imperfections and to love and respect yourself regardless. Confidence is believing in yourself when no one else does and not having the need to compare yourself to anyone else , because at the end of the day no one can make you feel inferior unless you let them!
- When was a time in your life you were confident? What did that feel like? – Erm since moving away t university I have become so much more confident! I was forced into a situation where I needed to make new friends and adapt to a new way of life and be independent and it has being a great thing for me! I have found the loveliest friends and met the nicest people and now I am confident with who I am. I take care of myself more and balance my lifestyle and I am generally a much happier person. When I am happy I feel better about myself and don’t even feel the need to compare myself with anyone else. Starting university was definitely a turning point for me and a fresh start. I am doing great now and I couldn’t be happier with things.
- When was a time in your life you were NOT confident? What caused that to happen? – This one is easy for me… secondary school/high school! I was so timid and so uncomfortable with who I was. I was bullied a lot and had a rough time of things and so I just didn’t feel good about myself and I wasn’t confident. I never believed in myself or my own abilities and always had the attitude of ‘I can’t do that’ even though I definitely could! School for me just wasn’t all that easy and I was surrounded by the wrong people a lot of the time who didn’t want the best for me and wanted to see me suffer and be miserable. I also just felt like I didn’t fit in and I wasn’t similar to anyone else. However, when I left school and got out into the world more and started working and university I saw there was a lot more to life and there were so many nice people who do love, support and want the best for you.
- Would you call yourself a confident person? Why or why not? Is it situational? – I would definitely say my confidence is situational! If I am doing something which scares me or something out of my comfort zone then I am definitely less sure of my abilities and less confident. Also, when I am having a bad day or thing so wrong, I always question myself and my abilities more and I am far a less confident.
- What is one specific thing you do that helps you like yourself and your life? – This is two things they are inter-linked so it technically only counts as one thing but it would be to eat healthily and exercise. I always feel so much better about myself if I know I am taking care of my body and looking after myself. Also, exercising I am sure you are aware, releases endorphins which makes you feel happier. I always find I am my most confident when I am happy and content with how things are going and when I know I am taking care of my body and health.
- What is one specific thing you do that undermines your self-worth and causes you to not like yourself or your life? – Erm I would say I am my own worst critic. I am so self-critical and hard on myself that I don’t think other people’s words could ever match! When things aren’t going well or I am just in a bad mood then my confidence and self-worth suffers because I take it out on myself!
- Do you compare yourself to others and how does this impact your confidence? – I used to be TERRIBLE for this and compare myself to every other single girl and I think that was because I was so insecure because of things which had happened in the past but I have gotten a lot better at this. I don’t compare myself to other people no where near as much as what I use to. I mean I would lying if I said I never did because I do occasionally and I definitely feel a lot worse about myself and far more insecure about my body after I have compared myself to someone else. That is why I try and not compare myself because you have to remember everyone is different and you’re beautiful in your own way.
- What’s your advice to someone who wants to boost their self-esteem? – Number one things to stop doing is comparing yourself to others!!!! Seriously! It doesn’t help you in anyway but only makes you focus on your flaws, insecurities and imperfections. The more you can become comfortable around others and not judging yourself again others the more you will be confident and comfortable within your own skin. Also, take care of yourself. De-stress, relax, eat well and exercise. Balance your lifestyle. As difficult as that may be and you will see that taking care of yourself will and respecting and loving your body improves your confidence. Lastly have faith in your abilities!! Don’t let anyone else make you feel like you aren’t good enough or that your worth less than someone else, because you aren’t. Every little achievement and success should be celebrated no matter how small but all those little things go together towards building your confidence.
Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have enjoyed! I hope this has in some way helped one of you or provoked some thought to think a little differently about yourself and being confidence. Let me know what makes you feel confident and happy or how you have got over difficult times! I will see you soon, much love,